Frequently Asked Questions

Use the search bar on the right to find an FAQ, or browse through the listing of all FAQs. If you have a question that is not listed here, please email
General Questions
How can I view property files?
The public can make appointments for file viewing of any property in the village by going to the File Viewing Appointments Portal. An appointment MUST be made prior to viewing any files. Walk-ins will not be serviced.
Is there a listing of all laws and codes I can follow?
Please visit Zoning and Construction Laws for a searchable listing of relevant Village Code sections related to construction, permitting and land use. 

The Larchmont Building Department also uses the Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code (Uniform Code) and the State Energy Conservation Construction Code (Energy Code). These are contained within Title 19 of the New York Codes, Rules and Regulations (19 NYCRR). Additional information is available through New York State Building Code website. These codes incorporate the International Building Code (available through the International Code Council).
Where can I find the listing of all fees and charges?
The Building Department's Fees & Charges schedule is available here
Is my property in Larchmont or Mamaroneck?
Please view our Street Finder to locate whether your property is located within the Village of Larchmont.
Any recommendations on a contractor to hire?

Consumer Protection - Unlicensed Contractors

Before hiring a contractor, make sure they are NOT on Westchester County's list of RENEGADE RENOVATORS

Westchester County has provided tips and resources for choosing a Home Improvement Contractor. 

Hiring a Contractor/Design Professional

The Village is precluded from recommending contractors or design professionals, however, we urge residents to perform their due diligence in making a selection.  Below are some helpful links in making those decisions:

American Institute of Architects  
Better Business Bureau
Westchester County Home Improvement License Search
Westchester County Master Electrician & Master Plumber Search
EPA Certified Lead Certified Renovation Firms

Working Hours for Construction Activities, Power Tools & Construction Equipment
Monday - Friday: 8am - 7pm
Saturdays: 9am-6pm

Sundays and Holidays: Construction equipment or power tools which can be heard beyond the perimeter of the property from which the noise originates may not be operated. 

For the purpose of construction activities, holidays include: New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. 

At all other times: Construction equipment may not be operated; and power tools may be operated only indoors.
Does the Larchmont Building Department issue referrals to land use boards?
The Building Department does not issue referrals. Please refer to the land use approval process under Land Use Questions.
Land Use Questions
What is the process to approve my project?

Step 1: Complete the Code Compliance Worksheet
The results of this worksheet will determine if your project requires site plan approval or variance based on existing vs. proposed metrics (gross floor area, lot coverage, yard setbacks, excavations/soil disturbances, or significant land development activity). The worksheet is available here. Based on the results of the worksheet, your project may need to be reviewed through the land use process (continued through Step 2). 

Step 2: Planning Consultant
After completion of the Code Compliance Worksheet (Step 1), if Planning Board approval is needed, a Planning Consultant application will need to be filled out and a Planning Consultant meeting will be scheduled through the Building Department. The Planning Consultant will review the details of your project, suggest guidance to help streamline your project review, and provide the next steps you need to get your project approved. The Planning Consultant may also recommend major revisions if there are any project components that could present roadblocks during the review process. To apply for a meeting with the Planning Consultant, you must fill out the Planning Consultant Meeting Application, provide the Code Compliance Worksheet previously filled out, and provide payment of $250 for the Planning Consultant Fee. Completed application and materials should be sent to

Step 3: Land Use Board Applications
After receiving guidance from the Planning Consultant, you can now proceed with an application to the land use boards, which includes either the Zoning Board of Appeals, the Planning Board, the Architectural Review Board, or a combination of the three. If have a large project that may impact traffic flows (i.e. vehicles entering/exiting from your parking lot), you may also be referred to the Traffic Commission. 

***Applicants are responsible for the submission of complete application materials. Applications that do not have all required documents will be adjourned to a future meeting.***

The full 2024 Land Use Board Meeting Dates calendar, and *associated submission deadlines*, are available here

Step 4: Construction Permits
After receiving all land use approvals, you can now submit all necessary construction permit applications. Your Building Permit application and any ancillary permit applications MUST BE CONSISTENT with the design drawings and plans as approved by the Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Board, and/or Architectural Review Board. 


After submitting all required documentation and paying all required fees, the Building Department will review your application(s). They will reach out to you if there are any issues with the application(s). Applications typically take approximately 3-4 weeks to review, but smaller applications may have a quicker turnaround. Applications are reviewed in the order they are submitted. Once the review has been completed, the Building Department will issue its permit(s), and the applicant will be contacted to pick them up. Only then can construction begin. 

Step 5: Inspections and Final Certificates
A Certificate of Completion (CC) or Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is required in order to legalize the completed construction project. Failure to obtain these puts people at risk of harm or injury due to unchecked life safety hazards. 

The Building Department must perform inspections before issuing a CC or CO. At certain points during construction, you must contact the Building Department to schedule an inspection prior to moving to another phase of the project. A final inspection will also take place after completion of a Builder's Affidavit, along with payment of the Certificate of Completion (or Occupancy) fee, prior to the issuance of a CC or CO. 

How do I get a neighbor notification list?
  1. Go to the Westchester County GIS Tax Parcel Viewer for Larchmont
  2. Click “Accept” on the disclaimer that appears.
  3. Enter the Legal Address or SBL of the project site into the search box that appears on the left side of the screen.
  4. Click search and the map service will automatically navigate to the subject property.
  5. In the small window that pops up indicating the property’s address type XXX into the text box labeled “Enter Buffer Distance.”
  6. Click “Create Labels.”
  7. Still working in the same window, click “Print Labels (PDF)” to print the required list of properties
  8. To print the site location map, click on the “Print” icon in the upper right hand corner of your screen
  9. A separate window will pop up containing two maps of the site (one aerial and one with building footprints).
  10. Print this page and submit as the required site location map. 
Tips to ensure you have a complete application
  1. Read the application forms and instructions carefully. 
  2. Submit all materials on-time. All Planning, Zoning, and Architectural Review Board applications must be complete and submitted by 2:00 PM on the submission deadline date (see Meeting Schedules and Deadlines below). Incomplete and/or late applications will NOT be placed on an agenda...NO EXCEPTIONS! 
  3. Make sure that your paper AND electronic applications are consistent and complete. Failure to include any items in your electronic submission will result in an adjournment of your application. 
  4. When submitting a document electronically, include the address in the file name (i.e. "120 Larchmont Ave Site Plan.pdf"). 
When do the Boards meet?
  • The Planning Board typically meets the third Tuesday of each month, except August. 
  • The Zoning Board of Appeals typically meets the first Wednesday of each month, except August. 
  • The Architectural Review Board typically meets the last Wednesday of each month, except August. 
For more information, please view the 2024 Meeting Schedules and Deadlines
What Boards might be involved in my application for a building permit?
You may need the approval of:
  • The Zoning Board of Appeals if a zoning question is involved pertaining to setbacks, lot coverage, use, etc.
  • The Planning Board if a problem is involved concerning wetlands, subdivisions, lots at a distance from a street, non-residential use in a residential zone, pools, etc.
  • The Architectural Review Board (ARB) if the appearance of the building is changed by alterations and/or additions.
Does approval of the Architectural Review Board (ARB) mean I have a building permit?
No, the building department must still review the plans for conformance to Codes. You must request this review after ARB approval.
Permit and Inspection Questions
Do I need a Permit?
You need a permit for any of the following improvements:

  • Erect, enlarge, remove, improve, or convert buildings or structures, such as an attached/detached garages, carports, breezeways, storage sheds, and porches
  • Convert the use of a building or part of a building
  • Install, relocate or remove interior partitions or walls
  • Install new windows or doors
  • Install exterior impervious surfaces such as driveways, patios, sidewalks, retaining walls
  • Install a fence, tennis court, satellite antenna, HVAC condenser, generator, or swimming pool (whether in ground or above ground)
  • Repair fire damage
  • Alter or replace a roof (whether its replacing shingles or the entire structural roof)
  • Demolish any building, including a garage
  • Install a masonry chimney, metal smokestack or wood stove
What if I don't get a permit?
All Village of Larchmont residents should be aware that penalties are imposed for work started without an appropriate permit (building/plumbing/HVAC) and for any legalization of an existing structure built without benefit of the appropriate permit.

  • Work underway without an appropriate permit will be triple the cost of the usual corresponding permit fee.
  • Legalization of an existing structure that did not have the proper permit when constructed will have a fee of $500 plus $45 per thousand-dollars of construction cost. 
  • In addition to the above, any person who violates any provision of the Fire Prevention and Building Construction Code of the Village of Larchmont will be subject to a fine of up to $250 per day the violation continues and/or imprisonment for up to 15 days
As a reminder, most any type of work requires a permit. If you are not sure, please call the Building Department at 834-4349 to see if any permit is required.
Why is a permit required?
The Building Department protects the public from inferior construction. 

Construction or alteration work without a permit creates fire and health hazards, as well as a general degradation of those unpermitted structures and properties. It can also bring down property values in the Village. 

So, please, do your part...

  • Be Safe. 
  • Secure a Building Permit. 
  • Call for Inspections. 
  • Secure a Certificate of Occupancy. 
What insurances and licenses are required to file for a permit?

Contractors at their sole cost and expense, must submit evidence of the following insurance: All insurance form should be the applicant, contractor doing the work, and all insurance forms should be the same address as the applicant.

  1. Workers’ Compensation Insurance covering all employees pursuant to Section 57 of The New York State Workers’ Compensation Law. Such coverage will also include Employers’ Liability Insurance with a limit not less than $500,000 per claim.

Those contractors who are exempt from providing Workers’ Compensation must submit a copy of their Affidavit of Exemption to Show Specific Proof of Workers’ Compensation Insurance…(NYS form BP-1(3/99)). Forms are available at the Building Department.

  1. Comprehensive General Liability Insurance with limits of not less than $1,000,000 combined single limit for personal injury and property damage. The Village of Larchmont will be named as Certificate Holder and Additional Insured.  Such insurance will provide coverage for, but not limited to, contractual liability coverage, completed operations, and the explosion, collapse and underground damage exclusions must be deleted from the policy.
  2. Disability Insurance Acceptable forms, DB 120.1
  3. A copy of your Westchester County Home Improvement or Plumbing/Electrical License must be submitted at the same time of submitting the application.

Certificates of Insurance to be furnished by Contractors must indicate that at least ten (10) days prior written notice of cancellation and/or materials change in coverage must be submitted to the Village of Larchmont, Building Department, 120 Larchmont Avenue, Larchmont, New York 10538.

Contractors and/or sub-contractors must carry identical insurance as indicated above.

I am changing my windows. Do I need to file a permit or go to the ARB?
All window replacements, alterations, repairs, and installations require a building permit. 

Only window alterations require ARB review and approval. In-kind replacements do not require a hearing before the ARB, as long as the new windows are an EXACT match to the old windows. 
What is needed before scheduling a final inspection?
Please refer back to the building permit issued for your project. All inspections required by the Building Department will be listed on your permit. A Builders' Affidavit with a fee will be required prior to scheduling a final inspection. 
Can I file for an electrical permit through the Larchmont Building Department?
Please call the Building Department at 914-834-4349 for additional information. 
Does my AC condenser need to be legalized if it was replaced, or newly installed, after 2001?
AC condensers replaced after 2001, or newly installed after 2001, required an HVAC permit. If there is no permit on record, a legalization form must be filled out. 
Do I need to file a permit if I am only replacing shingles on the roof?
Yes, a building permit needs to be filed along with the contractor's appraisal. 
Do I need a permit for a driveway?
Yes, because the lot coverage requirements must be met.
What are the requirements to obtain a pre-date letter?
Please view the requirements and instructions listed in the Pre-Date Letter Application
How long does it take to get the plans reviewed by the Building Department after Board approvals?
Normally, it's about 3 weeks depending on the workload.
Do I need a permit for a fence?
Yes, because the fence must meet Zoning Code requirements and must also have approval for the type of fence installed. 
Do I need a permit for installing or replacing a sidewalk, walkway or patio?
Yes, because lot coverage requirements must be met.
Do I need a permit for bathroom or kitchen alterations or renovations?
Yes, because Building Code compliance must be checked.
Do I need a permit to install a pool?
You not only need a Building Permit, but you must also get a Special Use Permit through the Planning Board (for single- or two-family residences...commercial swimming pools are reviewed by the Village Board of Trustees).
Do I need a permit to install a television satellite dish?
Pursuant to the Village Code, all satellite antennas require a building permit for installation. Satellite antennas in excess of one (1) meter in size require a Special Use Permit through the land use process regardless of the size of the installation.

For more information, see definition of Satellite Antenna in Section 381-7, building permit requirements in Section 381-81-D, special permit requirements in Section 381-55-D